21 May 2016

Only Ten Days Left!

The final deadline for contributing quilts to the SAQA Benefit Auction is June 1st. There may still be time to submit your miniature work of art. 

Outgoing regional representative Christine Nielsen submitted her piece weeks ago. Inspired by CFT, #1 is the first in a series of pieces inspired by a painting by C. Fayette Taylor, scientist and artist.

Inspired by CFT, #1 by Christine Nielsen, 2016, 12" x 12".


Chris Nielsen: I own a painting by C. Fayette Taylor which had been in my parents’ home and now hangs in my bedroom. It's the first thing I see every morning. A while ago, I realized the painting had influenced a lot of my doodling and a couple of my art quilts, so I decided to explore the imagery with a series. This is the first in that series. It was pieced using commercial and hand-dyed cotton fabric, incorporating wool felt and yarn, cotton and rayon threads.

This series has now taken a left turn. My recent explorations are a much less literal interpretation of the painting.


Thanks and best wishes

We are extremely grateful for all Chris has accomplished on our behalf as our Atlantic Canada representative and wish her the best in her new role on the SAQA Board.

Join in the fun!

The Benefit Auction, SAQA’s signature fundraising event, begins September 16! This is your chance to own beautiful, unique art quilts by some of the world’s finest fibre artists. Plus, your purchases help increase the recognition for art quilts and the artists who make them while supporting SAQA’s exhibitions, publications, and education outreach.

Have a look at how the auction works and start viewing the quilts!

1 comment:

  1. Interesting piece, Christine. I'm not familiar with the artist so I'll have to check him out.

    ReplyDelete