26 January 2020

Interview with Darcy Hunter: Inspired by Nature

Rose Cottage by Darcy Hunter 2019 10"w 8"h



Darcy Hunter is a fibre artist specializing in landscapes.  She established Darcy Doodle Quilts online on Etsy and Facebook in 2014.  Darcy then opened a shop at the Riverside Resort in Mactaquac where she shares the space with other artists. In winter 2017, her quilted postcards were featured in Art Quilting Studio and Sew Somerset magazines.  Her art quilts are featured in the 2019 spring and summer editions of Art Quilting Studio.

A part-time elementary teacher, Darcy further indulges her love of teaching by offering quilting classes and designing patterns of some of her creations.

Darcy, how would you describe your work?

I call my method "textile embroidery".  I use fabric like paint, laying it down piece by piece and adding stitching, as well as specialty yarns, beads, lace, shells, driftwood and other found objects.  I use the same methods to make journal covers and postcards in addition to art quilts.


Moonlit Sea by Darcy Hunter 2019 10"w 13"h

How did you come to be a fibre artist and what is your process for creating?


I began quilting 17 years ago to make quilts for my babies and gradually discovered how I could create art using fabric as a medium.  My work is greatly inspired by nature, sometimes by a walk in the forest or along the water, other times by a photograph. I also follow many fibre artists on Instagram and Pinterest; their art inspires me to create my own pieces and to try new techniques. 

My usual process is to begin with a pencil sketch of my idea and then add notes on possible methods and colours. I use unbleached denim as a base, adding pieces to each area, either stitching them on right away, or holding them in place with a little adhesive.  To add more texture, I use fabrics, lace, ribbons, upcycled sari strips and yarns.  I add a myriad of threads and sometimes paint.  At the end, finishing touches are done with beading, hand stitching, and found objects. 

Hanging might be done with a piece of driftwood, or the piece might be placed on a matt board and framed.
Winter Trail by Darcy Hunter 2019 16"w 20"h

  Do you work in a dedicated studio space?


When I became serious about my art work, we had the basement renovated and I now have a room there that I love.  I have a sit down mid arm (Husqvarna Platinum 15) as well as a regular sewing machine.  I love my mid arm; it is so much easier to see my work on it.  Plus, having it allows me to work on different things on each machine.

There are floor to ceiling Ikea cabinets, as well as lots of open storage, a good-sized ironing space and a large design wall.  My cutting table was created using a lovely old office desk, which we put on wheels to make it higher and moveable.
 
What are you currently working on?

It’s an 11 by 14 commission of a loon on North Lake in Maine where my client has a cottage.

What are your goals for the coming year?

I would like to work on some larger pieces than I have been doing.  I also want to respond to a call for entry.  

In addition, I’m working on developing a newsletter and a website.
Sheep Farm by Darcy Hunter 2018 20"w 18"h

Tell us about your most memorable experience as an artist.

I was contacted by the editors of Art Quilting Studio and Sew Somerset (Stampington magazines) in 2016.  They had found my work on Etsy, and asked me to send some of my quilted postcards to be published in their magazines.

 I was over the moon!

What fibre artists are you currently interested in?


Rachel Wright is my biggest inspiration.  She is from the UK and creates lovely landscapes.  I also really love the use of yarns, lace and paper by another UK artist, Isobel Moore. Susan Carlson is an expert in using colour in her work and I love her collage method of gluing pieces onto a base fabric.

Do you treat art like a job, going to the studio each day at a particular time?

When teaching, I am in my studio when I have spare time after work.  Otherwise, morning is my most productive time to work and I try to start then when I can.  I wake every morning with new ideas that I can’t wait to get out of my head and onto my palette!
Reflections by Darcy Hunter 2019 16"w 20"h


Darcy's work can be seen on Etsy at www.darcydoodlequilts.etsy.com, or on Instagram and Facebook (@darcydoodlequilts)

Her work is also available at her shop at Riverside Resort in Mactaquac, NB

She is part of the Etsy New Brunswick show in Fredericton each September, as well as at the Spring and Fall Capital Art Show in Fredericton.  She will be at the Renforth Artisan Market in St. John in the Spring (May 3) and Fall shows.
Elbow Valley by Darcy Hunter 2020  21"w 16"h

No comments:

Post a Comment