01 November 2012

News - Laurie Swim (Lunenburg, NS)

from Laurie

Alas, I was not awarded the Portia White prize on Friday at the Creative Nova Scotia Gala in the Brewery Market in Halifax. The winner, Thom Fitzgerald, is an award winning film maker with work shown at Sundance. Pretty stiff competition for a quilt artist. It is still an honour to be on the short list for such a prestigious prize and there is always next year. Thanks to those who were supportive and sent me notes of encouragement.

For those who are in Halifax this week, please drop by Zwickers Gallery on Doyle Street near the old Library on Spring Garden to see an exhibit of my work, some old, some new. This is the first time my work has been displayed in a traditional Fine Art establishment. Ian and Kim did a wonderful job of putting it all together. The show comes down on Saturday, November 3.  Also, you can see and purchase the newly released soft cover version of my book, Rags to Riches. Great price at $16.95.

1 comment:

  1. I have Laurie's book and can attest to its beauty -- and that of the work in it. Best wishes for continued success.

    Margaret Blank
    SAQA Western Canada

    ReplyDelete