20 July 2014

Member Profile - Kathy Tidswell, Burtt’s Corner, New Brunswick


A warm welcome to one of our newest SAQA Atlantic members, Kathy Tidswell!

In Kathy’s words:

I have been producing fibre art for almost 25 years and teaching  since 1993.  I consider my speciality to be free motion embroidery and I love creating appliqués totally from thread. Initially I took courses  from machine embroidery and quilting teachers as well as oil painting and water colour lessons. From these I developed my own methods of painting on fabric and using free motion embroidery to produce thread painted works of art. In addition to these thread paintings I also create original wall quilts and wearable art.  My love of nature inspires me to often feature flowers, trees, birds or animals.
 Spring -thread painting- painted white cotton with free motion embroidery. Chosen for Threadworks 2010: Trees and travelled throughout Ontario for 3 years.

                                             Majestica wall quilt chosen for 2008 CQA/ACC NJS

My pieces have been shown in many exhibitions and Juried shows across Canada and my Wearable Art has received two awards in Canadian Quilters’ Association National Juried shows.

I love teaching and sharing my methods.  There is nothing more satisfying then seeing a student “ fly” under your tutelage. I offer a broad range of courses and am always happy to travel to teach for guilds or groups. I have taught across Canada, at four Quilt Canada conferences, and made my European debut by teaching in Luxembourg in 2012 and 2013. In 2005  I received the Canadian Quilters’ Association/Association canadienne de la courtepointe Teacher of the Year Award.

Night Watch 
Painted silk cape featuring 3-d thread appliqué great horned owl. Shown at 2012 Canadian Quilters’ Association/CC 2012 National Juried Show.

To find out more and please visit my website www.kathytidswell.com


1 comment: