25 April 2018

Regina Marzlin's Daily Bread

Regina Marzlin, from Antigonish Nova Scotia, recently finished an art quilt entitled Daily Bread. She described the piece on another textile art blog, Cloth in Common. We are reposting the item for our readers.

Daily Bread by Regina Marzlin, 2018 w20" x h30"
Hand painted cotton, commercial batik fabric, organza, ink,
flour paste resist painting, photo transfer, piecing and raw edge applique, machine stitched


RM: I bake a bread almost every day. This seems to be part of my German heritage, we just love a good crusty bread. I keep it very simple, just four ingredients: flour, water, yeast and salt. This gets mixed together and I let it rise for about 12 hours, then bake it. I still find it magical, this transformation from lumpy dough to a loaf that smells and looks as good as it tastes. So I took this as my kitchen inspiration.

I decided to use all four ingredients to do surface design on my fabrics for this quilt. The white and black crackle fabric was made with water and flour paste that dried on the fabric, was then crackled and painted with black ink. The blue fabrics were painted and then I placed salt on one part and dry yeast on the other to get some resist marks. I digitally altered a photo of my bread and printed it on fabric, the wheat stalks were scanned and printed on organza.


Daily Bread by Regina Marzlin, detail

The quilting lines mimic the yeast cells, the square salt crystals and in the lower part of the crackle fabric I wrote a continuous line of the four words "yeast, water, salt, flour". Just looking at this makes me hungry!


Daily Bread was created as part of Regina Marzlin's work with an international group of fibre artists called Cloth In CommonTo subscribe to the Cloth in Common blog, just enter your email address at the bottom of the home page.  





No comments:

Post a Comment